Tuesday, November 1, 2016

LEAVES OF GRASS ~ "I Celebrate Myself, Line 238"


"The wild gander leads his flock through the cool night,
Ya-honk! he says, and sounds it down to me like an invitation:
The pert may suppose it meaningless, but I listen closer,
I find its purpose and place up there toward the November sky."
           ~~ Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, 1855, I Celebrate Myself, Line 238

November is the time to snuggle down and enjoy the many smells of the season from the cinnamon and sugar in an apple pie baking in the oven to luscious, rich scent of a steaming cup of hot chocolate. Squash of all varieties are picked and becomes a staple fall accompaniment to a pork or beef roast. Root vegetables--carrots, turnips, beets, and potatoes--are stored for winter use as well. These are our comfort foods. And they remind us as the temperatures fall that winter is around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment