Saturday, October 31, 2020

NOVEMBER - The dark, dreary, sometimes rainy month!

I have to admit that November is not my favorite month with its dark dreary, sometimes rainy, and many times chilly days. Thanksgiving allows us to look forward to good food and time with families. This year, because of the pandemic, my husband and I are staying home, cooking a turkey dinner together, complete with stuffing, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, and cranberries. We’ll Skype with the children and grandsons via electronic devices. And, we’ll manage. We know  “this too shall pass.”

On a brighter side, November is the time of the year to enjoy decorating for autumn with its brilliant reds, sunny yellows, and warm orange shades. It’s pumpkins, leaves, and colorful mums of all shades.  It’s time to enjoy finding a favorite spot, soft cozy afghan, and a good book. And there’s always apple cider, flavored teas in spice, berry, and lemon or maybe a cup of hot chocolate, topped with marshmallows.

Since I’m a fan of Robert Frost. Here is one of his poems to enjoy.

My November Guest - by Robert Frost

My sorrow, when she’s here with me,
     Thinks these dark days of autumn rain
Are beautiful as days can be;
She loves the bare, the withered tree;
     She walks the sodden pasture lane.

Her pleasure will not let me stay.
     She talks and I am fain to list:
She’s glad the birds are gone away,
She’s glad her simple worsted grey
     Is silver now with clinging mist.

The desolate, deserted trees,
     The faded earth, the heavy sky,
The beauties she so truly sees,
She thinks I have no eye for these,
     And vexes me for reason why.

Not yesterday I learned to know
     The love of bare November days
Before the coming of the snow,
But it were vain to tell her so,
     And they are better for her praise.

Be sure to check out my Musical Christmas Series.

Three romantic mystery novellas for the holidays.

     JUNE ~ The Pianist

     ADELENE ~ The Violinist

     LUCY ~ The Clarinetist


No comments:

Post a Comment